Sunday, July 25, 2010

for when they get me


they said you gotta ask the questions
if you want to know the answers
but i cant even formulate these enigmas
or reiterate
my predicament
into words, swords, daggers
that I carry around
in my carry on
side by side
with my iphone, ipod, ipad
anything but me
and right before touchdown
i aim these verses
and stand prepared cause
when they comin'
gunning'
for me-
Imma hold my position
and my ammunition
is my ambition
to struggle
strive
and someday articulate
the discomfort of conformity
and express that
ordinary-
is not suitable for me

i come from a place
where family matters
and we sip our tea with milk
but we're blindly swallowed
by the belly of consumerist society
blonde hair and blue eyes,
keep that hair straight
and that skin light
and you better watch your back
whether the president is blue or black
they'll do wrong till it becomes right
cause lady liberty sets the rules
and you're on the shit list
if the american dream aint on your wishlist

but you,
high on oil
strike at your own family tree
still suffering from colonial mentality
stokholm syndrome rationality
an at night
when the evil armies of shaitan are at play
make sure you have your say
and that your girls can sell that sex
and your boys can bend over low enough
to get walked over
because your fathers broke backs to liberate you
while you're pissing it all away
sold your soul
for porches and LV bags
and meticulously built up your cities
and tore down that sense of community
for terrestrial profits
while prophets become myth
and the serat al mustaqueem is even harder to navigate

No comments:

Post a Comment